Monday, April 9, 2012

On favorite lines and Easter candy

On Saturday afternoon, my gentleman friend and I enjoyed both a scenic hike and a heated debate about the best Easter candy.

He's partial to anything with chocolate and peanut butter. Though I was apparently born without a sweet tooth, I do enjoy the occasional chocolate-covered marshmallow egg.

The conversation got me thinking about a line in my new book, Believe it or Not. It's one of my favorite lines in the whole book, for reasons I can't explain but still cling to like a favorite sex toy that's faded and cracked but still runs fine if you jiggle the batteries and–

About that line.

It's an early scene in the book when Violet first meets the man she wants to like. He's kind and smart and normal and everything she thinks she wants, but soon learns isn't what she needs at all.

She looked up into a pair of warm-brown eyes the color of Cadbury milk-chocolate eggs.

"Can I help you find something?" he asked, his eyes filled with concern rather than creamy fondant.

I originally wrote it as "creamy nougat," but the line editor flagged it and provided a link to a website that explained the actual content of a Cadbury milk-chocolate egg. There was much debate about the proper way to describe it without ruining the line. "Vanilla cream" almost won out over "creamy fondant," and at a certain point in the proceedings, I teetered dangerously close to not liking the line much anymore.

But I still do. It makes me giggle. It surprises me a little each time I read it. It captures the tone I wanted to create, with Violet over-thinking the situation and trying way too hard to find this guy appealing.

What's your favorite candy for whichever holiday you happen to celebrate this time of year? If you don't have one, how about sharing your favorite line from a book?

Or if all else fails, share you chocolate-marshmallow eggs. I didn't get one this year, dammit.

8 comments :

Unknown said...

Anything with chocolate. Or anything sweet to be honest. I'm easy that way.

Deborah Blake said...

I'm a fan of dark chocolate (it's health food, you know). I love Godiva, but anything that combines dark chocolate and either mint or liqueur will make me happy.

Patty Blount said...

As all of the internet probably knows by now, I have never met a chocolate I didn't like. I'm not a big fan of the chocolate/peanut butter combo, though.

My all-time favorite treat is the chocolate covered strawberry. I don't make them very well so when I manage to get one, it's even more of a special treat.

As for Easter candy, I like to bite the ears off a good, old-fashioned, chocolate bunny :)

Michelle Miller said...

The Easter candy I look forward to the most is Robin Eggs. Crunchy malted center, coated in chocolate, with a hard candy shell. Yummy!

Added bonus: when we were little, my cousins and I would use them as tasty "lipstick".

Anonymous said...

I've always been partial to jelly beans, and they taste better this time of the year. However, Marshmallow Peeps rule! Especially after they've gotten a little dry and chewy.

Laina said...

Cadbury peanut butter eggs. And they don't make them anymore. *sad* But pretty much anything with peanut butter is good for me. Also I got a Godiva bar and Lindt Lindors this Easter so yay XD (I'm not a fan of dark chocolate, though. I've tried. Cheap stuff, good stuff. It's all too bitter for me. Milk chocolate all the way.)

Laina said...

(Also, I kinda hate those cadbury cream eggs. Not a fondant person and the fact that it LOOKS like an egg grosses me out.)

Neurotic Workaholic said...

I didn't get a chocolate marshmallow egg either, but I wish I did; that would taste really good right now. I also like those Reese's chocolate peanut butter eggs, because somehow they taste better when they're egg-shaped. I also like those multi-flavored candy canes at Christmas.