Monday, January 2, 2012

Scenes from a smile-worthy holiday season

In the spirit of easing slowly back into the post-holiday rhythm, I'm declaring today, "Wordless Monday."

Well, mostly.

Here are a few things that made me smile this holiday season:

A poster on the wall of a local brewery.

My dog looking suitably disgusted after one of the housemates outfitted her in a Santa hat and Christmas collar.

A box of chocolates sent to the day job office by someone whose sense of humor I can appreciate.

My holiday mani/pedi, courtesy of my gentleman friend's six-year-old.

At night, the dog sleeps in her kennel. During the daytime, it's the cat's favorite nap spot. When the entire household slept in on New Year's morning, the pets were annoyed at having their routine disrupted.

So what's been making you smile this holiday season? Please share!

And happy New Year, everyone!



7 comments :

Sarah W said...

One of my Favorite memories: My 8-year old rolling her eyes at the Roy Roger' marathon we'd planned. "Just tell me it's in color! Oh. It's not. It's old."

And then, when we tried to switch to something else after four episodes: "Nooooo! Whyyyyy? We haven't watched "King of the Cowboys," yet! That one has lots of Trigger, right? Please, Mom? Pleeeeaaaase?"

Unknown said...

My nephew on christmas eve (especially when I got to play Santa), cooking a 3 course dinner with best friend and Mutant Cat going nuts with her new toy (which hangs in a very elastic ribbon from the doorframe).

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Our grandchildren got a TON of presents, most of which were sophisticated, expensive, highly educational stuff that runs on batteries. But, me being me, one of the things I gave our 3 1/2 year-old grandson is a whoopie cushion. You know, that decidedly unsophisticated little rubber thing that makes rude fart noises when you squeeze it? I thought it was hysterical, and figured, since his sense of humor is about as sophisticated as mine, he would get a kick out of it, too. But the most smiles came when the 20-month-old started playing with it. Every time he squeezed a fart out of it, he'd giggle, scrunch up his nose, and say, "Ewwwwww! Schtinky!" We all got a lot of laughs out of it. Guess I'm a bad influence.

Colene Murphy said...

Hahaha! I love your impatient pets. Happy New Year to you!

Writer Pat Newcombe said...

I smiled broadly when I realised I had done the whole holiday season without putting on any weight!! And I did have a few treats too...
Sorry to be so egotistic - but it did make me smile all day... And I have been working hard to lose weight since August!

TAWNA FENSKE said...

Sarah W, I have to confess, I've never watched a Roy Rogers flick. I might have to give that a shot!

Malin, there are now five cats in my household. For Christmas, we poured a big pile of catnip on the living room floor and let them all go crazy. It was like one big kitty-cat drunk fest.

Susan, I LOVE that story!! And now I need a whoopee cushion.

Colene, I love my pets, too!

Writer Pat Newcombe, that deserves a HUGE congratulations! I'll have a glass of wine in your honor this evening.

Thanks for sharing, guys!
Tawna

Julie Hedlund said...

OMG how cute is your dog???

They really don't appreciate the indignities we put them through, do they?