Thursday, January 12, 2012

Why I shouldn't be trusted to communicate this week

Yesterday, I sent a congratulatory note to a friend who landed an agent. I tried to type "yaaay!" but my phone decided I meant "yeast!"

So my friend either thinks I'm baking sourdough, or hoping to discuss infections. Either way, this is the sort of week I'm having.

Tuesday evening, I got a note from my real estate agent alerting me that a house I really, really like in a neighborhood I really, really love, just went up for sale at a price I might actually be able to afford without selling my nipples on the black market. I was still squealing with excitement when an email arrived from my literary agent (who, incidentally, shares a first name with my realtor. I know, right?)

She had some exciting news, too. News I decided to post to Twitter immediately, along with an Amazon link.

You see where this is going, don't you?

Yup, I tweeted the link to the house. After four-dozen replies from confused readers wondering why I wanted all 2,315 of my Twitter followers to see photos of a foreclosed home in Central Oregon, I figured out how to delete the tweet and post the right link.

Only it turns out I kinda wasn't supposed to post the link just yet because it's sorta still a secret. Sorta.

"Feel free to mention that it's up in broad strokes," came the note from my publisher, which sent me into giggles and fits. It's up? Broad strokes? Sometimes, I swear you guys are just feeding me the filthy jokes.

Oh, and here's what else I'm allowed to say: "Shh...still being tested, but guess what's up in the Amazon store?! Just a few days to launch and lots of details!"

So that's what I can tell you right now. In case you don't know what the hell I'm talking about, rest assured, this is the story of my life. I shared news about my new project with Coliloquy here, so that should give you another clue.

Stay tuned for more details next week. And feel free to share any embarrassing "you won't believe what I did" stories of your own. It'll make me feel better.

Oh, and if you get any texts, tweets, or email messages from me this week, I'd like to apologize in advance. For whatever.

11 comments :

Matthew MacNish said...

It could have been worse. I can only assume none of your followers ran out and bought the house out from under you.

Anonymous said...

You know my favorite part about reading your blog at the office, Tawna? The pink background.

The fact that blog access is firewall-blocked and I have to comment on the public-access computer downstairs where everyone can walk by and wonder what I'm looking at is really only the icing on the cake.

Mmm...cake.

I think that's all I've got right now.

>.>

Anonymous said...

Okay so this one time I was using my phone to text a couple of people at one time. Somehow my phone decided to send a text intended for my friend to my ex-husband. So my conversation with my ex-husband goes:

Him: "I really would like to stay friends with you if possible"
Me: "Yeah, we could get together a few times a month for a rub down"
Him: "Sounds kinky"
Me: OMG NO

The rub down was suppose to go to my friend about getting massages. After the embarrassment wore off I couldn't stop laughing at how stupid that was. And I keep an eye on who is sent what from now on.

Patrick Alan said...

Pretty sure it's every day that I shouldn't be allowed to communicate with others.

Darrell B. Nelson said...

So this means I won't be able to buy your nipples on the black market?

Unknown said...

At least with every "oops" that happened something good followed to balance it out :)

Skye said...

I texted a note about being angry with a friend's wife ... to that friend. It was suppposed to go to someone else. Yesterday, as I was rushing to get to the doctor's office from work, with a stop at home in between, and I was sleepy, I thought to myself "I'm really too sleepy to drive" and WHAM! I ran into the van in front of me. (I'm okay, just sore muscles.) It will be okay, but I haven't gotten in an accident that was truly my fault since I was 17. I'm 50 now. Stupid stupid stupid.

So, feel better. It could have been worse ....

Daisy Whitney said...

Can one sell nipples on the black market?

Nancy Kelley said...

I manage four Twitter accounts. So far I've only tweeted businessy stuff from my personal account instead of vice versa, but I'm waiting for the day when I tell the entire NaNoWriMo world something they don't need to know.

Anonymous said...

feel your pain on the smart phone that is way too smart for me. I was typing "bff" to my bff. Only it changed it to "buffalo".

"Love you my buffalo!" Yeah, not the same.

So being called a walrus in response was totally justified.

Laura Maylene said...

Congrats on all your great news! And I can't help but be curious whether you'll still pursue that house or back out that all of your Twitter followers may have seen the link and would then know exactly where your future home is.

I probably shouldn't be allowed to communicate with people this week, either, what with the paranoia and all...