Thursday, December 29, 2011

First fights and other excuses for groping

Every now and then, a comment or conversation will send me running for my notepad. Maybe it’s a snippet of dialogue I think would be perfect for an upcoming scene, or maybe it’s just something that makes me laugh.

I thought of this yesterday when I had the following exchange with my gentleman friend:

ME: We’ve been hanging out together for awhile now. Do you think it’s weird we haven’t had our first fight?

HIM: (pausing to grope me) Are you suggesting we fight just to get it out of the way?

ME: We might as well. Here, I’ll kick things off— Stop touching me, you stupid jerk!

HIM: No way. I’ll touch you whenever and wherever I want.

ME: Thank God.

HIM: (still groping me) Is the fight over?

ME: I think so. That went well, didn’t it?

HIM: Absolutely. We should make out now.

I have no idea if I’ll ever use it in a scene, but it made me smile anyway. Do you ever make note of conversational snippets that amuse you? Heard anything good lately? Please share!

I think I need to go start another fight.

9 comments :

Sierra said...

I normally have plenty of great ones floating around from exchanges between me and my own gentleman friend, especially now that we're living together, but I can't think of any at this pre-coffee moment.

He'll be coming bra shopping with me in an hour, for the first time ever, so check back later. ;)

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

The only thing that I heard lately that I thought was clever is the line, "I really like the ocean because it doesn't have a strong opinion."

Anonymous said...

The other day I was in the pharmacy and I saw a really old lady hobbling out the door with her cane. From the other direction a very old man was coming out another door, leaning on his own cane. The two of them met in the middle and the old woman said to the old man, "I'll race you!"

Skye said...

Life as Art. Your life sounds like your books. Yay for your gentleman friend. Is there a store where I can find one like that? Please?

@Sierra: You must share conversation when you get home!

I usually forget to write down the funny stuff. I've heard and said nothing exceptionally clever lately, but I did read this post to the folks I'm visiting right now. They liked it, giving me yet another moment to plug Making Waves. :)

therese patrick, author said...

Make up sex is the best reason for a fight. :D

Sarah Allen said...

Jeez, you two are unfairly figured out, huh? Way to go. You guys are hilarious.

Sarah Allen
(my creative writing blog)

Christine Rains said...

Hehehe! That was cute. I've been with my husband for over 13 years and we never fight. Who needs a reason for sex?!

Sierra said...

Well, it was actually a pretty tame trip. The best exchange:

ME: I'm gonna go try this on. Will you watch these bras and panties for me?

HIM: *pause*

ME: You don't have to hold them. Just make sure no one puts this pile away. I'll be right back.

HIM: Okay. And I'll be here...standing around like a creeper.

Allie Sanders said...

I actually carry around a notebook to write stuff down. I have a lot of notebooks around the house as well as my notepad on my cell phone that all get merged into one giant notebook of stuff that may never be used but amused the hell out of me at the time.

Sometimes it's real conversations, sometimes it's just the start of a conversation that I have a funny conclusion for. Even if they never see the light of day again I'll have them and have something to laugh over years from now which is worth it to me.