Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The best words in the English language

There's been some challenging stuff happening in my life lately. I can't go into details, but I do think we should have a group hug and maybe pat each other's butts a bit in case you're going through some rough stuff, too.

What am I saying? Butt pats feel good even if there's no rough stuff.

And now I've accidentally steered this blog post to the subject of spanking, which is really not where I meant to go. Blame my inner romance author, who is a brazen hussy with no sense of decorum.

What I really wanted to talk about is an email I got the other day from my parents. They were fulfilling their duty as the best parents on the planet by offering kind words of encouragement and support. "Just know," they wrote, "we've got your back."

Something about that phrase dissolved me into a sniveling, sentimental baby. I posted on Facebook declaring those to be the best words in the English language.

I still think that's true, though my less sentimental self might find other phrases equally worthy of admiration. My upcoming romantic comedy, Believe it or Not, has a love scene that spans nearly 20 pages. I had a great time writing it, and I'll admit there are a few groupings of words that make me deliciously happy in a different way. (Drew: I love the way you say my name. Violet: So make me scream it.)

Other phrases that could be contenders for my favorite words in the English language:
  • There's free wine and food at the party.
  • Why don't you go read a book while I clean the house?
  • Here's a check we weren't expecting!
  • Want a massage?
  • You're so hot you melt the elastic in my underwear.
The jury might still be out on that last one. What are some of your favorite words in the English language? Please share!

And line up over there for the extra hugs and butt pats. This could take awhile.

14 comments :

Sarah W said...

In ascending order:

"I stayed up until 4am reading your story, because damn!"

"We've always been proud of you."

"Why do I love you? I don't have that kind of time."

"I love you, Mommy."

Alastair said...

You know, there's something very elegant and supportive about, "I've got your back." It's simple, and it's unconditional, and we all need that from time to time.

There's a pedantic grammatical contortion that is, I believe, mis-attributed to Winston Churchill: "There is some shit, up with which I will not put." It makes me unfailingly happy.

And one day, I hope to hear, "Scientists today discovered that red wine is the key to longevity, enhanced productivity, and shake-the-walls, singe-the-mattress sex."

Hugs and butt pats to you, Tawna!

Teri Anne Stanley said...

"You look like you need a donut"
followed by:
"Look! Free donuts!"

Matthew MacNish said...

Are you talking about words, strung together to form phrases?

If so, I've always been partial to: "what goes around comes around."

Jess Corra said...

"I believe in you."

Incidentally, I believe in you, Tawna. <3

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

Favorite words from a boss - take tomorrow off with pay.

Renee Pinner said...

I've struggled with "stuff" recently. There are a hand full of blogs I'd turn to for a smile. Yours was one of them. Here's to hoping you find a smile too. Consider that my pat on your butt.

Stephsco said...

It's not so much what the words are but how they're said. My husband works later than me, and when he gets home he calls up the stairs, "Hello?" in an assortment of voices. If he doesn't call up first, I shout down with my own voice. The stupider, the better.

Right now we're partial to a broken Russian-American accent. "Hall-os?!"

Lynnanne said...

ahhhhhhhhhh bug shit.

Also, finished Believe it or Not! Fun, fun, fun. Loved the quirky characters. :)

Buffra said...

I hope that the red wine scientists that Alastair hears also find scotch has those medicinal and, um, other medicinal properties. Red wine gives me vicious migraines and makes me throw up.

But, aside from the scotch having health benefits, it warms me up inside to hear my friend say, "I'll put the hug on your tab." We're long distance at the moment and it's just sort of an acknowledgment of the support, affection, and sometimes butt-patting that we would like to give each other if we were closer.

Kelly Byrne said...

"You've just won a house made entirely of premium Belgian dark chocolate."

"I couldn't put it down."

"...my new favorite author."

"You don't look ANYthing like Chewbacca."

"You've got a purty mouth."

Hmmm. Maybe not so much those last couple. Anywho - hope things get better, Tawna. Big cyber hug comin' atchya.

Neurotic Workaholic said...

"Free food" is definitely one of my favorite phrases; does that count?
And a 20-page love scene! Wow! Now this I have to read!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

It's always nice to hear, "Oh no, you couldn't POSSIBLY be eligible for the old lady discount!"

D.B. Adams said...

"I got the job!" and "Honey, I sold the parrot," have been two of my favorite in the past.